In this Project Lab, students work on projects focused on issues related to disability, access, and inclusion in higher education, on the Georgia State campuses, and in the Clarkston community. Our main projects are developed in collaboration with the Georgia State Center for Leadership in Disability and the IDEAL (Inclusive Digital Expression and Literacy) program, which supports students with mild intellectual disabilities taking classes at Georgia State. Students will also have the opportunity to develop their own research questions, gather data, and then develop prototypes for innovative projects that target problems related to disability, access, and inclusion in higher education and in the local community.
Our current projects include:
· Collaborating with the Center for Leadership in Disability on community-facing projects
· Working with the IDEAL (Inclusive Digital Expression and Literacy) program to expand the Panther Disability Inclusion Network (DIN across all GSU Campuses
· Supporting IDEAL students and working on marketing and fundraising efforts for the IDEAL program, including content creation, fundraising campaign, outreach, etc.
· Building a digital accessibility map of the GSU campuses
· Developing materials on the topic of disability, access & inclusion on college campuses to engage future college and community partners
Student Learning Outcomes:
In this Project Lab, students will:
· Analyze representations of disability in the arts, literature, and popular culture
· Synthesize research on disability as a historical, social, and cultural construct
· Demonstrate competency in written communication to create resources, proposals, and other artifacts
· Deploy critical thinking and problem-solving skills to identify issues/barriers related to increased representation of disability, and improved access and inclusion policies in higher education and to propose solutions
· Employ and assess digital communication strategies for the creation of a digital resource and for presentations
· Craft research questions and use effective research strategies to gather information
· Organize into teams and formulate short-term and long-term goals for team requirements.